Wolfson College Research Associate
+ 44 (0)1223 767539
- PhD Computer Science (Keele University)
- MSc Information Technology (Keele University)
- BA (Hons) Law and History (Keele University)
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- Association for Learning Technology (ALT), Associate
- British Educational Research Association (BERA), Member
- Computing at School (CAS), Supporting Member
Louis is a Research Associate interested in the use of digital technology for educational purposes. His research investigates how knowledge is developed by learners who use digital technologies, and factors that afford and constrain the effectiveness of digital tools educationally. In particular, Louis is interested in the role of technology in supporting dialogue in the classroom. He is currently the lead Cambridge-based RA on the Digitalised Dialogues Across the Curriculum (DiDiAC) project. Funded by the Research Council of Norway (2016-2020), and undertaken in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Oslo, DiDiAC utilises dialogic classroom strategies and technology (the Talkwall micro-blogging tool) for developing 21st century skills in schools.
Previous research undertaken by Louis has investigated the implementation of Tablet PCs in schools, the use of digital video to support teacher professional development and the potential of mobile devices for improving educational outcomes in low-resource contexts. His PhD involved evaluating the effectiveness of a technology-enhanced learning tool (a robot simulator) to support the learning of computing programming, and he maintains his interest in computer science education (including through research involving Raspberry Pis).
In addition, Louis is interested in methods for research synthesis and has experience leading systematic reviews and using other related methodologies. He also has an interest in undertaking design-based research to support the development of technological tools and pedagogy.
Louis is a steering group member of the Cambridge Educational Dialogue Research (CEDiR) group. Before joining the Faculty in 2013, Louis was employed as a Research Assistant for the Lifelong Learning Network (based at Staffordshire University) and as a Sessional Lecturer and Teaching Assistant (at Keele University).
- Education and learning technology
- Classroom dialogue
- Teacher leadership and professional development
- Empirical research methods
- Systematic reviews and methods for research synthesis
- International education
- Undergraduate Tripos: Research & Investigation
- Primary PGCE: Researching Pupil Perspectives
- MEd: Researching Practice
- Practitioner Professional Development: Teaching Advanced Mathematics (TAM)