This site uses cookies. If you continue it is assumed that you are happy to receive all cookies. Accept and close. View privacy policy


Fire alert phone

Health & Safety

This page gives advice on general aspects of health and safety. Please try to be aware of what is happening around you. If you become aware of a hazard or safety problem that cannot be easily solved by the people around you, then you must report it to your supervisor or to the Faculty Safety Officer. The Faculty's Health and Safety Policy can be found on the Policies and Procedures Page.

Safety Management – Who is Responsible?

Post Current Holder Room Tel
Head of Faculty Geoff Hayward DMB 3S5 767611
Faculty Health and Safety Officer Patrick Boydell DMB GS11 767727
Dep. Faculty Health and Safety Officer Peter Miles MAB G11 67588

Induction and Training

Induction and training is available i.e. risk assessment, manual handling, and fire safety training for all staff and students.

A list of courses is available through the [University Safety Office: Training and Development].

Back to top

Fire Safety

In the event of a fire and on hearing the fire alarm, all staff, students and visitors must leave the building by the nearest exit as quickly and calmly as possible, closing doors as they leave and assembling in the staff car park at the rear of the building. Do not use the lift or re-enter the building until told to do so by the Senior Fire Officer or the Faculty Fire Officer (Philip Vale).

Nominated fire wardens will evacuate their designated areas and check "Refuge Points" for disabled staff, students and visitors who may require help to be evacuated. [Fire Safety Unit].

Back to top

Nominated Fire Wardens in DMB (Donald McIntyre Building)

Ground Floor: Patrick Boydell and Allen Saunders/Sue Sadler

Library: Emma Batchelor and Amy Theobald

First Floor: Ursula Clarke and Jane Bloomfield

Second Floor: Emma Rixon and Lieke Van Bree

Third Floor: Pauline Mason and Philip Vale

Trumpington House: Bryony Horsley-Heather

Fire Wardens responsibilities: To ensure that all occupants resident in their designated area are alerted to the fire alarm and that all rooms and refuge points are physically checked.

Note: Would all Lecturing staff notify students at the start of lectures/seminars of the procedures notified above.

Back to top

Accidents and Emergencies

In an emergency call 999 for police, fire and ambulance, and call University security on 101.

If you have an accident, health condition or any other related issue please contact the Health and Safety Officer, on 01223 (7)67727.

Any injuries or incidents should be reported to the Health and Safety Officer and an accident report must be filled out.

Current First Aiders are:

Title First Name Last Name Location & Tel.
Mr Patrick Boydell DMB (67727)
Mr Peter Miles MAB (67588)
Ms Susannah Lacon DMB (67612)

If you need first aid assistance:

First aid boxes are kept on each floor of the Donald McIntyre Building, on the ground floor of Trumpington House and in the foyer of the New Science Block. Please acquaint yourself with their location.

Back to top

Assessing and Controlling Risks

A risk assessment is the process of identifying, assessing and remedying hazards and risks involved in activities. Risk assessments should be carried out before any work is begun.

A hazard can be defined as a potential source of harm or damage, or a situation with a potential to cause harm or damage. Risk is a function of the probability of that harm occurring and the severity of its consequences if it occurs.

Guidance on risk assessments as well as a general risk assessment form can be found in the Policies and Procedures page and the Forms and Templates page.

If you are in any doubt as to whether or not an activity should be risk assessed please contact the Faculty Health and Safety Officer. [University Safety Office: Risk Assessment].

Lone Working

"Lone working" covers all work proposed to be undertaken alone where the risk to the individual lone worker may be increased either by the work activity itself or by the lack of available support should something go wrong. This can include working at home, driving, fieldwork, shift work, overseas visits and work away from the University.

If you are working alone in any of these sorts of situations then it is important that you complete a risk assessment. [University Safety Office: Guidance to Lone Working].

Back to top

Electrical Safety

All electrical equipment should be tested annually to ensure that it is suitable for use. Any electrical equipment brought in from offsite must be reported to the Faculty Health and Safety Officer and tested for safety. [University Safety Office: Electrical Safety].

Back to top

Hazardous Substances

It is the responsibility of any individual working with hazardous substances, including chemicals and cleaning products containing chemicals to ensure that a risk assessment has been carried out and that personal protective equipment is used wherever necessary.

Back to top

Manual Handling (Carrying, Pushing, Pulling AND Lifting)

Anyone whose job includes an element of carrying, pushing, pulling or lifting (even stacks of paper or boxes of files) should attend a Manual Handling course. These are offered by the Health and Safety Division but the Faculty can also arrange on site courses. [University Safety Office: Manual Handling].

Back to top

Personal Protective Equipment (Science Block and Art Room)

Personal protective equipment is clothing that protects the wearer from hazards. When engaged in any activity where hazards (such as chemicals or lathes) are being used it is imperative that the person engaged in that activity ensures that they wear suitable personal protective equipment.

Back to top

Display Screen Equipment (DSE) / Visual Display Units (VDU)

Working with desktop computers and other types of display screen equipment (DSE) can cause both mental and physical fatigue. Anyone who experiences problems while using display screen equipment should report to the Faculty Health and Safety Officer who will be able to advise you on the best course of action to be taken. [University Safety Office: DSE/ VDU].

Back to top


A no smoking policy is in effect for all of the buildings on the Faculty of Education site.

Back to top

Children and Young Persons

The Faculty's policy on children is that they should be supervised at all times (in view of the potential dangers for children in the building such as staircases and open walkways) and that risk assessments should be undertaken to demonstrate what precautions and supervision is in place. These risk assessments should be submitted to the Faculty Health and Safety Officer.

Back to top

Work Related Driver and Vehicle Safety

Guidance on travel at work is available from the Health and Safety division.

Back to top

Responsibility for Students Undertaking Fieldwork

Where a student's fieldwork requires them to travel overseas, the following health and safety guidance applies:

The Safety Office and the Occupational Health Unit can provide advice on risk assessments and precautionary measures for field work.

Before leaving to go on fieldwork, students should complete and submit a 'Fieldwork Risk Assessment Form' (which can be collected from the Higher Degrees Office).

Back to top

Working Away from Cambridge

See Guidance on working away from Cambridge.

Back to top

Information for outside contractors

It is the policy of the Faculty of Education that all contractors must be competent and pre-assessed for Health and Safety competence through membership of the EMBS preferred suppliers system. They must announce their arrival at Reception and be escorted to their place of work by the Facilities Supervisor or Faculty Health and Safety Officer, or delegated representative, who will need to see their risk assessment or method statement and who will advise them of any issues the Faculty may have that may affect the contractors H&S in the course of their work.

Back to top

First Aid and Fire Safety at Homerton College

If you discover a fire or require first aid while attending lectures at Homerton College please contact the Porter's Lodge, located in the Mary Allan Building - Main Entrance. The telephone number for the Porters' Lodge is +44 (0)1223 747111. Information about fire safety and refuge points can be found in each lecture room on the site. If you are unsure about procedures please contact the Porters' Lodge for clarification.