We are unable to consider any request to be a student visitor unless (i) an academic member of the Faculty has already agreed to act as supervisor and (ii) there are existing professional links between the visiting student or their institution and the Faculty member. We only ever host a very small number of visiting students and for no longer than two months (approximately one term). Applicants must be students who are registered for a degree at another institution.
How to apply
To apply, the Faculty would need to receive:
- A completed Visiting Student Application Form;
- A letter of recommendation from your current institution (supervisor or head of Department) and confirmation that this period of research is part of your degree overseas
- A letter of support from the academic at the Faculty of Education who has agreed to act as your supervisor.
Please submit your application by email to email@example.com at least 4 months before the proposed visit to ensure sufficient time for processing the application. Your application will be considered by the supervisor and their Academic Group , and the Director of Learning and Teaching. The application process takes approximately 6 weeks from the date on which we receive your application. If your application is approved, you will be sent an offer letter detailing the terms and conditions of your visit. You will be asked to return a signed copy of this letter to confirm that you will abide by the terms and conditions. You will need to submit evidence that you have a valid visa prior to arrival.
Visiting student fee
The fee for visiting students is £250 per month (+ VAT at the current rate).
What we offer
- A designated supervisor
- A named administrator to contact with queries
- Access to the Faculty library
- Opportunities to attend lectures and seminars (on the understanding that permission is granted by the lecturer)
Unfortunately space is limited in the Faculty and we are not able to provide visiting students with personal desk space. There are however a number of desks and places for quiet study in the Faculty library.
For further information about access to the University Library please see http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/plan-your-visit/admissions/who-can-use
Please note that visiting students are invited by the Faculty and there is therefore no college affiliation. Supervisors are only able to offer support during university term times (see http://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars )
- Finding your own accommodation
- Ensuring you are on the appropriate visa for study. You must contact the International Student Team directly if you are unsure. If you are entering the UK for the purpose of study, entry as a visitor will not allow you to undertake this study at Cambridge. (The International Student office can provide guidance (http://www.internationalstudents.cam.ac.uk/short-term-study)
- Paying your travel and maintenance costs throughout your stay