skip to primary navigation skip to content

Doctoral Paths: Frequently Asked Questions

students chatting

Q: What is the course code for PhD?


Q: What is the course code for EdD?

A: ED71

Q: I have been told that my status is PhD (Probationary). What does this mean?

A: The status of all PhD students upon admission is ‘probationary’. They remain ‘probationary’ until they have passed their registration viva (usually at the end of the first year full-time or second year part-time) after which they are formally registered for the PhD.

Q: Your website says a 1,500 word research proposal should be submitted with my application. However, the space on the application form only has space for a summary. What should I do?

A: You only need to provide an overview on the application form. You should upload the full research proposal via your self-service account.

Q: I am a continuing student. Do I need to submit two academic references?

A: All applicants for the PhD in Education must provide two academic references.

Q: I have missed the deadline. Can I still apply?

A: The Faculty does not accept applications after the deadline.

Q: Can I live abroad and just travel to Cambridge a few times a year?

A: Full-time doctoral students must live within ten miles of Cambridge. Part-time students should normally live within 4 hours travelling distance of the Faculty. There are taught sessions every week in the first year (first two years for part-timers) and all students are expected to participate in the academic life of the Faculty throughout their studies.

Q: Can I start the PhD in January or April?

A: We only have an October intake in the Faculty. This is because we use the first year to build a doctoral community and so everyone must commence the course at the same time and attend the sessions together.

contact button

apply button

brochure button

open day button

faq button

Employability button

finance button

funding button

visa button