skip to primary navigation skip to content

Applying for a VISA

passport and paperwork

Visas for international students at the Faculty of Education

International Students will require the appropriate immigration permission for their studies at Cambridge.

If you already have UK immigration permission in another category, e.g. as a dependant, under a Youth Mobility scheme or based on ancestry, you may be able to study on that without needing to apply for a student visa. You will need to provide evidence of this prior to starting at Cambridge.

Prospective students are advised to check the visa information for specific course types outlined below. In line with UK Home Office requirements, the University will be required to check your permission to study in the UK.

You will be asked to present your original documents in person, which will be copied and retained, at the start of your course.

Full-time study

Students undertaking full-time study at the Faculty can be sponsored by the University for a student visa. Detailed information is outlined on the International Students webpages.

Visa sponsorship for the part-time MPhil in Education, and the MEd – all routes except MEd Transforming Practice

International students who are admitted onto an MPhil degree and require visa sponsorship are expected to study full-time. The University will only sponsor a student visa for a part-time MPhil if the reason for studying part-time is owing to a disability, or if the programme does not have a full-time equivalence.

The MPhil in Mathematics Education and the MPhil in Primary Education do not have a full-time equivalence so can be sponsored for a student visa for part-time study. All MEd routes except the MEd in Transforming practice can also be sponsored by the University for a part-time student visa.

The requirements and application process for a part-time visa are the same as for full-time studies but the visa is more restrictive as you cannot:

  • undertake any work in the UK, including voluntary work
  • bring family members as visa dependants in any circumstances. Please note that those studying on a full time taught masters usually cannot bring dependents either, except in specific circumstances.

Students should consider these restrictions prior to accepting an offer of admission. Further details about a visa for part-time study are outlined on the International Students webpages.

Please note it is not possible to study these courses on a Graduate visa or an HPI visa as these routes do not permit study on courses which can meet requirements for student visa sponsorship, even though this is only be provided in limited circumstances at Cambridge.

The MEd in Transforming Practice has a different course structure and is not supported with sponsorship for a student visa.

Visa sponsorship for the MEd in Transforming Practice, Transforming Practice PPD and Postgraduate Advanced Certificate in Educational Studies: Educational Assessment

Attendance at the conference dates or day schools for these programmes can be supported under the visitor immigration route. Entry to the UK as a visitor has a number of expectations and restrictions which you should consider carefully. Further information is provided on the International Students website and prospective students are advised to read this in full.

To meet the requirements of the visitor route, students are expected not to remain in the UK for extended periods of time. The majority of study must be taken outside the UK and generally students will enter for the conference dates or day schools and leave shortly after.

It is not possible as a visitor on a course of more than 6 months to make the UK your main study location or residence, or make frequent or successive visits to stay in the UK for extended periods.

The University does not provide sponsorship for a student visa on these programmes.

Other programmes not listed above

The University is unable to support entry to the UK for other programmes not outlined on this page. This means it will not be possible to undertake the course unless the student holds a UK visa in another category which permits study, for example a work permit.