skip to primary navigation skip to content

Applying for a VISA

passport and paperwork

Visas for international students at the Faculty of Education

Students from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will require an appropriate visa that permits study.

Prospective students are advised to check the visa information for specific course types outlined below. It is not possible to study as a visitor to the UK (tourist).

In line with UK Home Office requirements, the University will be required to check your permission to study in the UK. You will be asked to present your original documents in person, which will be copied and retained, at the start of your course.

Full-time study

Students undertaking full-time study at the Faculty can be sponsored by the University for a Tier 4 student visa. Detailed information is outlined on the International Students webpages.

Visa sponsorship for the MEd – all routes except MEd Transforming Practice

Students undertaking part-time study on most MEd routes can be sponsored by the University for a Tier 4 part-time visa. The Tier 4 requirements and application process for a part-time visa are the same as for full-time studies but the visa is more restrictive as you cannot:

  • undertake any work in the UK, including voluntary work;
  • bring family members as visa dependants;

Students should consider these restrictions prior to accepting an offer of admission. Further details are outlined on the International Students webpages.

The MEd in Transforming Practice has a different course structure and is not supported under Tier 4.

Visa sponsorship for the MEd in Transforming Practice, Transforming Practice PPD and Postgraduate Advanced Certificate in Educational Studies: Educational Assessment

Attendance at the conference dates or day schools for these programmes can be supported under the short-term study immigration route. Entry to the UK under short-term study has a number of expectations and restrictions which you should consider carefully. Further information is provided on the International Students website and prospective students are advised to read this in full. Students attending conference dates to day schools are expected to leave the UK at the end of each session and return for the next. No more than 56 days should be spent in the UK in any 6 month period.

The University does not provide Tier 4 sponsorship for these programmes.

Other programmes not listed above

The University is unable to support entry to the UK for other programmes not outlined on this page.  This means it will not be possible to undertake the course unless the student holds a UK visa in another category which permits study, for example a work